Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shanghai Beauty

Shanghai people are used to seeing foreigners but they only once in a while get a glimpse of real American 美丽的年轻姑娘. I'm sure that both these young women, our own Tusha and her daughter, Jasmine, were turning heads. But the young man in the subway was particularly interested in Jasmine. Jasmine, eagle-eye shopper, (in addition to killer-smile girl, as you can see) spotted just the right boutique in a subway shopping spot.

I don't know who had more fun, Jasmine or the shop-girls. The shop girls said they want hair just like Jasmine. Envy of a delightful kind in Shanghai, where fashion is the main thing (right after the food). Will Beijing have shops like that? Will the subway be quite as much fun? Will the young man in the subway start planning his college career in America, looking for a smile to match the one on the Line 2 地铁, the subway, just beyong the People's Square?

3 comments:

  1. I was amazed just watching people's reactions to all of us. It made me stop to think of how I look at foreigners when I'm in the U.S. Though a thought or two may cross my mind in passing, I'm still not sure I've ever considered stopping for a photo with someone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience when a friend of mine from Senegal came to visit me in Suzhou. Suzhou has lots of expats but rarely Africans. One this particular day, Simon and I were walking down a street attracting the normal amount of attention that foreigners get. Suddenly a man on a bike catches sight if Simon and stares at him intensely, even forgetting to pedal his bike. The man continues his stare well past us, even turning all the way around on his bike! From this position it was difficult to see the parked car that he hit.

    hek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I caused a wreck like that once, but I was on the bicycle and didn't know the local rules for turning right! Gotta watch out for foreigners on bikes.

    ReplyDelete